Training Meeting Monday 30th November 2015

Thanks to all members who attended the meeting and to Greg for chairing.

Waterford Triathlon Club - Monkey-Mia-MJK-Australia

VENUE: Splashworld, Tramore. 20:15 - 21:00

ATTENDANCE:

Greg Holden (Chair) (GH) Vinny Power (VP)
Ger Nolan, Club Chairman (GN) Fiona Holland (FH)
Edwina Butler (EB) Margo O'Dowd (MD)
Derek O'Donnell (DD) Claire Guyon (CG)
Mark Power (MP) Maeve Kennedy (MK)
Jim O'Brien (JB) Bernie Power (BP)
Elaine Mullan (EM) Martin Flynn (MF)

Apologies:
Francis Kennedy

1.0 Intro & Swimming Action By

1.1 Plan/Comments for pool swimming over the Winter:
Attendees asked for feedback on swimming on Mon & Fri in Splashworld. General feedback was that everyone was satisfied.
Informed group that Eoin Lyons Sat 8-9am swim session was running until Dec 5th in Kingfisher. MF requested that some more notice be given for the re-commencement of the session on Sat 9th Jan. GH will contact Eoin.
EM suggested that swimmers might benefit from Eoin's speed building sessions in the Springtime. GH

1.2 Plan/Comments for open water swims in Dunmore:
Mentioned. No action. Will come back to it.

2.0 Cycling 
2.1 Club Chairman Ger Nolan confirmed that Advanced, Intermediate and Beginners group cycles are returning on Sat 9th January at 9:30am. The start venue will be The Crystal or The Holycross. Location to be confirmed because of parking issues. GN said Des O'Meara is happy to start up the group cycle again. In time the group may split to subgroups based on experience, ability etc. Location to be confirmed GN

2.2 MP asked about Spin Classes. What times are Martin Kirwan's spin/turbo classes and would he be interested in catering for a group. Also the same for The Kingfisher and Prices of same. VP to check this out. VP

2.3 Same for Waterford Cycle Centre Turbo classes. GH to check GH

2.4 VP discussed Duathlon training and options for new members to get a feel for what is involved with a view to preparation for Tri season. Harvey Norman Car park suggested. Early-Mid Jan 2016. VP to check options. 
VP

3.0 Running 
3.1 Club Chairman GN said he would check with Emmet Kelly in regard to what options were open for Coached running sessions. A poll to be conducted to see the interest level, numbers and the possibility of having two different times. 
GN

3.2 It was noted that Martin Kirwan runs a session on Mon evenings in RSC and that Waterford AC also have one on Tues evenings in RSC

3.3 EM said that she would be willing to contact WIT in regard to using Carriganore as there is lighting, safety and it is not a concrete surface. EM


4.0 Other Business 
4.1 EM suggested the setting up and use of a Facebook Private Members Page for paid up members to join by invitation. All agreed that this would be a good way of communicating information on training, races, informal training groups, etc. but to be seen by other members only. GH to contact David Devine in relation to setting this up. 
GH
4.2 WTC race dates were discussed. WTC Duathlon date is 18/02/2016. WTC Triathlon date is 18/06/2016. Anyone who can bring in sponsors for the races won't have to make cakes and sandwiches for the Duathlon. 
4.3 The Triathlon Ireland National Series was discussed:
TI Duathlon NS 2016 rankings will require any 2 NS races plus the Duathlon National Champs in Mondello in April.
TI Vodafone Triathlon National Series 2016 rankings will require 1 Sprint plus 1 Olympic plus any 2 other NS races.
There is also a Mens, Womens and Mixed Vodafone Triathlon Club Series using points gained in the individual races. 
In 2015 Waterford TC ranked 3rd in the Vodafone Mens Triathlon Club Series out of 70 clubs.
It was agreed that the races are too far way in distance but if members would like to race in the National Series female, male & mixed, please keep in touch with other members doing the same. 
4.4 It was suggested that there be Club Champs race chosen or even a South Eastern Champs proposed with other Clubs such as Kilkenny, Dungarvan, Carrick. This sounded like a very good idea and anyone who has more thoughts on this please contact the Club executive committee or discuss at the next training meeting.


Provisional date for next Meeting: 18/01/2016.

5.0 Circulation:

5.1 All present, Apologies & Main Committee

Follow Us on TwitterLike Us on Facebook
COPYRIGHT © 2017 WATERFORD TRIATHLON CLUB
SITE DESIGNED BY CLOVEROCK DESIGN